IFEX (INDONESIA INTERNATIONAL FURNITURE EXPO) is The Biggest International Trade Fair for Decoration, Home & Office Design, Furniture, Lighting in Indonesia. This international exhibition which is one of the barometers of furniture and craft design in Asia has become a prestigious venue for furniture and craft companies to show off their best designs.Repeat success in previous years, in 2019 cooperating with 500 companies that will display the best designs of furniture and craft products, such as rattan furntiure, outdoor furniture and home decor.
IFEX is an annual meeting place between companies engaged in furniture and craft with foreign buyers. It is not surprising if all furniture and craft companies in Indonesia try to display their best designs to attract buyers. It is common knowledge that the designs displayed on IFEX are designs that are prepared for the next one to two years. Therefore, knowing the predictions of furniture trends and the trend of furniture and interior design colors in 2019-2020 is generally very important. Accuracy in predicting design and color will of course affect the buyer’s judgment in choosing the design they want.
10 Trends in Interior Design 2020 That Will Affect Furniture Trend
Based on a survey conducted on 2,000 IFDA members throughout the US including those in Japan, the following trends are expected to boom in 2019-2020:
- In 2020, the world’s population, especially those living in urban areas such as the US, will prefer to live in smaller homes with a more limited number of rooms.
- Formal living rooms will disappear from modern homes. The living room will no longer function as a living room. But it will be more functional, such as to chat with family, space to watch, even to have dinner together.
- The dining room will be a multipurpose room where family members move. To study, play and various other activities. The bedroom will be a more multifunctional space, it can also be an office space or other main activity.
- More narrow space requires smaller furniture as well.
- Furniture switches to multifunctional, modular, easy to move furniture designs with a small size tendency.
- Kitchen and dining room are increasingly favored with increasing interest in the world of cooking.
- Furniture and patio designs for the outdoor are made with the concept of minimal care and of course still carry the functional concept.
- Those are some things that need to be considered in terms of interior design which of course will greatly affect furniture design. So, what kind of predictable furniture design will be the trend in 2019-2020 ?
Furniture design continues to grow over time. Human lifestyle, home design and interior and exterior design greatly affect the design of furniture in the same timeframe. If in the past the concept of furniture looked mathematical, sofa + television meant talking furniture for the living room, and bed + 1 set of wardrobe means talking furniture for the bedroom, the concept of the future will change.
As stated above, the concept of space will change. The living room is no longer just a living room, the bedroom is no longer just a place to sleep. The concept of space becomes more tangible, not as rigid as before. This is in accordance with the results of predictions from WHO, that in the coming years most people prefer to live in denser cities.
This has an impact on the availability of land that is increasingly limited, so that the form of housing will be increasingly lean. So, what is the relationship between residential trends and furniture market trends 2019-2020? The important point is that with a small occupancy, the tendency of people will reduce the amount of furniture in the house so that the house still feels spacious.
In addition to the number of furniture, the concept of modern minimalist occupancy also affects the design of furniture used. Multifunctional, modular and small-sized furniture designs will increasingly flutter. Multifunctional tables and stools will be the most sought after type of furniture.
Modular stools with many functions such as bedside tables, seating, small tables, dressing tables and various other functions. For tables, a creative multifunctional desk concept will attract interest. Multifunctional desk that can be used as a table to receive guests, study tables, office desks, and even as a storage room.
With a concept like this, it is very natural for tables and stools to become furniture choices that are taken into account in the coming years. For chairs, the type of seat that is not space-consuming, slim, and easy to slide will be an option.
A similar concept also applies in outdoor. Outdoor furniture is predicted to shift to a type of furniture that is more streamlined and multifunctional. In addition, outdoor furniture is also designed to lack maintenance. This is closely related to the character of urban living that is all dynamic and wants to be practical.